Info other countries


An au-pair in Canada is called a live-in caregiver. The caregiver must apply for a work permit before seeking entry to Canada, we will assist you in doing this. The work permit is valid for one year and for one employer/position only.



There are four main requirements you must meet to qualify under the live-in caregiver program:


- You must have successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian high school education.


- You must have six months of full-time training in a classroom setting or twelve months of full-time paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer in a field or occupation related to the job you are seeking as a live-in caregiver. You may have gained your training or experience in areas such as early childhood education, pediatric nursing or first aid. You may also have completed your training as part of your formal education. This experience must have been obtained within the three years immediately prior to the day on which you submit an application for a work permit.


- You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French at a level that allows you to function independently in a home setting. For example, you must be able to contact emergency services if required and to understand labels on medication. You will be unsupervised for most of the day and may be required to communicate with someone outside the home. A good knowledge of English or French will also enable you to read and understand your rights and obligations. Find out which language is used in the part of Canada that you prefer to stay in.


- You must have a written employment contract between you and your future employer. The contract defines your job duties, hours of work, salary and benefits. The contract also reinforces your employer's legal responsibilities to you. This requirement helps provide a fair working arrangement between the caregiver and the employer and provides both parties with a clear understanding of what is expected of them.




Registration with our Canadian office is free of cost to the caregiver. Immigration Canada currently charges a $150.00 processing fee (CDN $$) regardless if a work permit is issued or refused. There are also costs to consider for the medical exam in your country, as well as airfare. In some cases, the host family may offer to contribute to the airfare.



Fill in your application

As soon as we receive your application form, we will put it on file. The application is forwarded to our main office in Helsingborg, Sweden. There we will start the search for a suitable host family. You will be notified as soon as the right family has been found. The chosen host family will also contact you. This will give you opportunities to find out more about the family and what they expect from you. Since this is a good time for questions, you should prepare a list of things you would like to know in advance.


If you and the family match, we will go ahead with the rest of the procedure. Travel arrangements can be booked in accordance to your departure. Contracts will be drawn up. You and your family will both receive a copy.


If, by chance, the host family that we found for you is not to your preference, we will continue the search until you are fully satisfied.


If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to give us a call at

+46 42 20 44 02 or mail us at